There’s a little bit of magic in the air at Gymboree Group. We’re focusing on our future, from evolving our brands to transforming the way we work together. We may be grown-ups, but we’re all about celebrating children and the people who care for them. We love to collaborate to find new ways to make our customers smile. Have great ideas? We want to hear them. Want to try a new approach? Let’s do it. Come join the fun at our home office!
What You’ll Do
The Merchandiser will be responsible for developing and driving the product strategy, assortment and financial performance goals. Working closely with the VP & GM, the Merchandise will act as the representative of the customer in strategic decisions on the cross-functional team. This role will manage one direct report, the Assistant Merchandiser, and will lead and develop this person's career. Together with the Assistant Merchandiser, this role will assist the product lines working closely with Design to guide color, pattern, silhouette, outfitting, class-mix, etc. The Merchandiser will work closely with Design, Production, Brand Creative Services, and Visual Merchandising partners to ensure that the strategic vision is executed all the way to the customer. They will also work closely with the store teams to enhance understanding of our customers and address their needs.
- Assort the product lines working closely with design to guide color, pattern, silhouette, outfitting, class-mix, etc.
- Create, develop and buy the merchandise mix to support the brand, working with the VP/GM to hit financial targets and aesthetic vision
- With Planning partners, this person will strategically develop and execute financial plans by department, line, and classification
- Work with Production and Design to drive achievement of AUC and IMU goals based on financial plans
- Collaborate closely with Design, Production, Brand Creative Services, and Visual Merchandising partners to ensure that the strategic vision is executed all the way to the customer
- Partner with the store teams to enhance understanding of our customers and address their needs
- Maintain a high awareness of the customer, of competition and of fashion trends through consistent store visits and online research
- Maintain our ordering system as well as ensure that the Assistant Merchandiser is maintaining accuracy
- Perform very intensive data-management during certain periods of time it is important that the candidate is comfortable with this, accurate and efficient. Being fast and accurate in the system enables this person to rise up to be strategic and creative in the position
- Responsible for participating in Store communications as necessary, providing product information, visual/outfitting direction and helping to resolve issues
What You'll Bring
- BA/BS degree required with a minimum of 5 years of hands-on merchandising experience
- Must have experience in the Specialty Store arena and must have a proven ability to identify trends and successfully drive a business
- Children/Baby apparel experience a huge plus
- The candidate must possess strong analytical skills as well as a strong proficiency working with numbers
- Excellent speed in computer-based tasks and be very detail oriented in order to have accuracy in our ordering system for a very high number of skus
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral, coupled with strong organizational skills.
- The role will eventually present product lines to the CEO so must be comfortable speaking in front of high-level executives
- The ideal candidate will have the ability to follow projects/tasks to completion
- PC skills required; including excellence with Excel applications specifically
- The candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and must have the ability to work with all levels within the organization
Why You’ll Love Working With Us
- The Product—so good, you’ll be using your employee discount more than you probably should
- The People—ask anyone that works here…we have incredible people on our team
- The Experience—you’ll enjoy a rewarding career at a respected global children’s brand
- The Benefits—health insurance, 401k match, and onsite wellness services for your convenience
Let’s Talk Perks!
- Generous Health Savings Account (HSA) employer contributions for individuals and families
- Flexible Spending Accounts and commuter benefits
- Paid holidays and flexible time off
- 30% off merchandise employee discount (Gymboree & Outlet, Janie and Jack, Crazy 8 & Outlet)
- Gymboree Play & Music class discounts
- Educational Assistance Development Program
- Life insurance (self, spouse/domestic partner, children)
- Additional corporate discounts at participating companies
More About Us
Gymboree Group, Inc. is a specialty retailer, operating stores with high-quality clothes and accessories for children. Our family of brands includes Gymboree, Janie and Jack, and Crazy 8. Since our start in 1976, we have grown from offering mom-and-baby classes in the San Francisco Bay Area to currently operating over 900 retail stores in the United States and Canada, along with franchises around the world. We believe that respect for the customer, respect for the brand, and respect for each other are at the core of everything we do.
Gymboree Group, Inc. is unable to provide relocation assistance for this position.
Principals Only. EOE. No phone calls, please.