There’s a little bit of magic in the air at Gymboree Group. We’re focusing on our future, from evolving our brands to transforming the way we work together. We may be grown-ups, but we’re all about celebrating children and the people who care for them. We love to collaborate to find new ways to make our customers smile. Have great ideas? We want to hear them. Want to try a new approach? Let’s do it. Come join the fun at our home office!
What You’ll Do
In this role, you will be accountable for the operation and maintenance of the Gymboree Store fleet of 950 stores and their relative Data Center integrated systems (Middleware, Servers, Routing, AWS and SaaS/Hosted system). This includes, facilities and associated equipment lifecycle management, managing the delivery of remote based hosting/SaaS services, remote server and POS management, and POS services. Provide technical expertise for the retail infrastructure function to include data center, server administration, network, telecommunications and other traditional Retail Infrastructure components across Store fleet, Warehouse Operations throughout the United States and Canada. Additionally, lead and manage the relationships and operational integration of third-party network / Telecom and managed / hosting services for the store fleet. Current technology includes Aptos Store POS, Verifone, Zebra, HP POS Elite, VoIP (Ring Central), iOS with multiple SaaS based weblinks.
Entrepreneurial aptitude is a must as this is a lean team.
Given the responsibility to engage with vendors and senior business leaders, this individual is responsible for making decisions daily about store technology direction. This often includes, unilaterally technical architecture design, planning and negotiations through to execution, this individual must be comfortable in all aspects of business case creation, presentation and implementation.
This includes taking the entire view of the retail technology ecosystem and unilaterally architecting a vision for store solutions, bringing them to the leadership with clarity and conviction with alternate solutions in mind. Store remodel, open/closure and build-outs are within the scope of this position.
- Be able to speak to retail data flow and technical interactions between systems, applications, and services within the environment, and evaluate the impact of changes or additions.
- Perform day-to-day management of the retail infra and operations organization (including staffing, planning, budgeting, forecasting, balancing tactical and strategic demands, achieving SLAs and other relevant management functions) and hold all teams accountable for optimizing the cost, risk and value of technology services to the stores team.
- Manage personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organization, as well as building on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
- Identify and oversee execution of continuous improvement initiatives (e.g., system performance improvements)
- Support cross-functional retail operational processes (e.g., critical incident management, financial system integration)
- Partner with business-facing Retail stakeholders on new demand for SaaS/hosting services.
- Coordinate local and vendor support participation in problem response and root cause analysis.
- Report on and manage service provider metrics and operational performance.
- Develop and manage AWS hosting capacity requirements and budget implications.
- Direct research on potential retail technology solutions (e.g., payment devices and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts
- Interface with business unit directors and other Retail functional area directors (Loss Prevention, Construction R&M and Real Estate) to define infrastructure support initiatives and solutions for improving service efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop and maintain architectural framework for information system development, maintenance, support and enhancement efforts.
- Monitor retail technological advancements to ensure that solutions are continuously improved, supported, and aligned with retail industry and company standards as well as emerging business requirements.
- Partner with other IT Managers to develop road maps for retail applications, align development plans, and to ensure effective integration among information systems and the Retail Infrastructure.
- Lead Retail Incident and Problem management to recommend courses of action to prevent problems and to maintain high infrastructure service levels for the store community.
- Manage key service providers to establish metrics, key performance indicators and service level agreements for driving the performance of IT service delivery.
- Responsible for the Retail IT service delivery management of databases, servers, networks, storage, directory and other technology platforms shared across the enterprise.
- Act as technical lead to plan, implement, direct and monitor the integration of new technologies into the infrastructure.
- Assist IT leadership and managing strategic vendor and partnership relationships.
- Regularly review IT costs and cost structures for IT services and products.
- Perform other duties which are deemed by management to be an integral part of the job, including, but not limited to fulfillment of work schedules, adherence to attendance policies, and other applicable operating rules, policies and procedures.
What You’ll Bring
The Director of Retail Infrastructure must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to understand key concepts and communicate effectively with technical staff, business stakeholders and senior management.
- Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical people to enhance understanding and drive decisions that lead to positive outcomes.
- Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as external vendors and service providers) to ensure that segregation and overlapping roles are identified and coordinated.
- Ability to work well with others, harness different skills and experience, and build a strong sense of team spirit.
- Expert level at all Microsoft productivity tools including O365
- Ability to work well with others, harness different skills and experiences, and build a strong sense of team spirit.
- Strong analytical, data-processing and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to improve operational efficiency, service delivery and information management across all lines of business and technology platforms.
The Director of Retail Infrastructure must have in-depth knowledge and experience of the following:
- Understanding of Retail technology components including but not limited to POS (minor code level) SMS, EMV, PCI, Data Center, Network and Vendor management.
- Budget planning, financial and resource management.
- Engagement with procurement and legal contract advisors for additional information.
- Retail IT applications, operations, service and support organizations.
- Data processing, analysis and quality management tools.
The following experience is considered essential:
- Minimum of 10 years in IT and business/industry experience and five to seven years of leadership responsibilities in a technology domain.
- Minimum of 5 years managing multiple, large, cross-functional teams or projects, and providing technical expertise to senior level management and key stakeholders.
- Ten years of demonstrated leadership experience building cross-organizational consensus with exposure to technology providers and/or business clients.
- Extensive detailed leadership experience in areas such as network design and administration, data center operations, Basis and database administration.
Why You’ll Love Working With Us
- The Product—so good, you’ll be using your employee discount more than you probably should
- The People—ask anyone that works here…we have incredible people on our team
- The Experience—you’ll enjoy a rewarding career at a respected global children’s brand
- The Benefits—health insurance, 401k match, and onsite wellness services for your convenience
Let’s Talk Perks!
- Generous Health Savings Account (HSA) employer contributions for individuals and families
- Flexible Spending Accounts and commuter benefits
- Paid holidays and flexible time off
- 30% off merchandise employee discount (Gymboree & Outlet, Janie and Jack, Crazy 8 & Outlet)
- Gymboree Play & Music class discounts
- Educational Assistance Development Program
- Life insurance (self, spouse/domestic partner, children)
- Additional corporate discounts at participating companies
More About Us
Gymboree Group, Inc. is a specialty retailer, operating stores with high-quality clothes and accessories for children. Our family of brands includes Gymboree, Janie and Jack, and Crazy 8. Since our start in 1976, we have grown from offering mom-and-baby classes in the San Francisco Bay Area to currently operating over 900 retail stores in the United States and Canada, along with franchises around the world. We believe that respect for the customer, respect for the brand, and respect for each other are at the core of everything we do.
Gymboree Group, Inc. is unable to provide relocation assistance for this position.
Principals Only. EOE. No phone calls please.